A moisturizer is an essential part of a beauty regime and it is crucial in maintaining a healthy and hydrated skin. There are several moisturizers available in the market, offering varied skin benefits. So, how do you really choose the right moisturizer for you? It’s not a difficult task, you just need to keep a few pointers in mind before buying one for you.
Understand the basics
No matter what your skin type is, a moisturizer is a must. If you have a dry skin, then an ointment based thick moisturizer will help you lock the suppleness of your skin. On the other hand, creams are best suited for normal skin, as they are thin and Lotions are for oily skin s they are the lightest and have water as their main constituent. Also, buy a light moisturizer for day use and a thick one for nighttime.
Understand more than just your skin type
We all understand oily, dry, patchy, normal skin types and we buy moisturizers accordingly. However, there are few more critical aspects to look into when making the right selection.
- Choose a moisturizer with a minimum SPF 30. And if you have any sun allergies then go for higher SPF value.
- Select a moisturizer having anti-acne acids if you are prone to acne. The moisturizer should also not clog your pores and should have anti-aging properties.
- Pick a moisturizer containing petroleum products like petroleum jelly, if you have some cracks or eczema. As this will sooth your skin and make it supple.
- Antioxidants help in neutralizing free radicals i.e. they help in maintaining our skin look young and fresh. So, why not choose moisturizers enriched with antioxidants. Moisturizers enriched with pomegranate, green tea, licorice root extract or chamomile can be chosen.
Read the labels
Spend some time reading the description mentioned on the moisturizer bottle. You can definitely learn a lot about the moisturizer just by ready its label. Choose moisturizers that are labeled as “non-comedogenic” i.e. less likely to clog pores and “allergy tested” i.e. less likely to cause allergic reactions.
Things to avoid
- Avoid unnecessary ingredients like added scents and colors. They are nothing but chemicals, that at times can prove to be harsh on your skin and strip essential moisture of your skin.
- What’s good for your body may not hold good for your skin. Avoid products like shea-butter, lanolin, mineral oil mostly found in body products, as they clog pores and can cause facial acne.
- Steroid based creams should not be used more than once or twice in a week unless advised by a dermatologist. Frequent use can make the skin thin and cause other serious skin disorders.
- If you have delicate or dry skin type avoid moisturizers containing retinoic, salicylic, glycolic acids. As they penetrate deep into the skin causing skin irritating and breakouts.
Always remember proper care along with a good moisturizer is the best that you can give to your skin. Check https://moisturizers.com to know more about moisturizers and how to use them properly.